Amrina's Amour



 Amrina a middle-class baker’s daughter controlled the backing business after her father’s death. Her creamy pastries with appealing strawberries from her garden were even loved by the king’s family, Gabriel Intae. Apart from cooking, she had another eminence, beauty. Her deep-set green eyes like emeralds, thin red lips, and skin as white as cotton freshly brought from the fields and hair the color of tree bark, always hung loosely from her bun.

One day, she left for the palace of Gabriel Intae with her cake. She had made a special cake of Guava and orange for the king’s son, Paul, who had come to the Argent Empire after spending nine years in Africa. Though greeting the prince was not the only reason for her to visit but she also desired to see the palace servant, Arthur, her lover.

(Amrina reaches the Snow Palace)

Amrina to herself: Oh, what would I say to the king if I accidentally run into him, he won’t pardon me for bringing this shattered gown to his palace. Oh poor me. I just hope I could see Arthur as soon.

Paul (who comes unnoticed): Are you troubled dame?

Amrina: Oh, you scared the life out of me…Pardon, I didn’t recognize you.

Paul: No! Pardon me belle femme, I’m Paul Robin Intae, this is my father’s palace, mine is in Africa.

Amrina (bowing): Apologies prince, it wasn’t intended. I’m the city bakester, Amrina. Please honor me by accepting this gift.

Paul: Merci belle femme.

(Amrina ran out of the silver gates, without seeing Arthur)

                                                                                      ***

(That day Arthur was given the duty to serve and guard Paul)

Paul: Arthur, I wanted to talk to you about something. Would you spare a second?

Arthur: Always at your service, prince.

Paul: Today when I was taking a walk in the garden, this beautiful lady with green eyes, big lashes, and thick brown hair came, she was muttering something to herself, she was nervous I guess. I even heard her taking your name.

Arthur (smiling): Seems you are in love prince.

Paul: Yes, indeed, it seems that I’m lost in her big green eyes…will you tell me about her Arthur?

Arthur: Always at your service, prince.

Paul: Merci Arthur.

Arthur: Can you please tell me more about the dame?

Paul: Yes, she said, she was the city bakester, Amrina

(Arthur was left shocked at this statement)

Paul: Do you not know her?

Arthur: Yes, I do, indeed my whole life I have grown with her. She is my neighbor. She lives down Twelfth Street. It’s a small house…with a garden…with lots of fruit trees…especially strawberries…

Paul (Eating a piece of the cake Amrina brought): Oh you don’t need to tell me where she lives, I think you should take me to her house tomorrow morning.

                                                                          ***

(That rainy night Arthur slipped from the palace to Amrina’s cottage)

Amrina: Oh Arthur, I’m sorry I wasn’t able to meet you in the morning, I accidentally ran into the prince and I was too afraid to face him.

Arthur: it was a drastic accident indeed…

Amrina: What are you talking about?

Arthur:

Paintings stake,

Mornings fade,

To mine and your fate,

Now you won’t be my dame…

Amrina:

Don’t leave me in the dark,

Where the sky shadows black…

Arthur:

I’m afraid I could do nothing,

It’s all fates playing,

As you stole my heart,

So as of the Prince,

I would be able to do nothing,

When in tomorrow morning,

He writes your fate with his ring…

Amrina:

Till the last leaf of my trees flutter,

Oh, Arthur, I must mutter,

Your name in a continuous utter.

Cause our love will last forever,

And we’ll be together,

Oh, Romeo, I be your Juliet,

Even if I have to die,

With veins and arteries filled with poison

Arthur: No Amrina don’t say that, if you die, there’s no reason I’m alive…

Amrina: Then maybe it’s better to die…Nevertheless, if we say to the king our truth, he’ll hang you and give me a lifelong commitment to his bed…

Arthur: Yes, maybe it’s better to die together rather than alone.

(Amrina fetched a bottle of poison)

Amrina (in all tears and hands locked in Arthur’s): Meet you in heaven…

Arthur: Meet you in heaven…

(And both of them took a sip of poison and died in each other’s arms…)

(What happened after that, didn’t matter until both of them walked in the gardens of heaven together…)


Comments

Popular Posts

Dirty New Dress

Thanks Dad